100ah battery will run a Tv for about 10-50 hours. The exact value will depend on the size and type of television, and also the battery depth of discharge limit.
Now let's find out the exact estimated runtime of your 100ah battery on a Tv. This is going to be a short but step-by-step guide.
Simple Solution: Use the calculator (given below) or use the charts (given below) to find out the 100ah battery runtime on a Tv.
Long answer: how long a 100ah battery will run a Tv will depend on these factors.
- Battery Depth of discharge limit
- Tv wattage consumption
- Inverter Efficiency
Steps To Calculate How Long Will 100Ah Battery Power A Tv?
Now use these steps to find out the 100ah battery runtime on your Tv.
Step 1: Convert Battery Capacity Into Wh
To convert the battery capacity into watt-hours use this formula
Battery Capacity (Wh) = Battery Capacity in amp-hours (Ah) * Battery voltage (V)
Most of the 100ah batteries come in 12v, so i'll take a 12v 100ah battery as an example
100 * 12 = 1200Wh or 1.2kWh
12v 100ah battery is equal to 1.2kWh of power.
Consider Battery Depth Of Discharge (DoD) Limit
Some of the battery types are not recommended to be discharged below 50% which is known as the battery depth of discharge limit or DoD limit.
Here are some most used battery types with their DoD limit
- Lead-acid: 50% depth of discharge limit
- AGM: 50% depth of discharge limit
- GEL: 50% depth of discharge limit
- Lithium-ion: 100% depth of discharge limit
- LiFePO4: 100% depth of discharge limit
Note! This is the general number of percentage, to check the exact DoD limit of your battery check the specs sheet given by your manufacturer or check online for your specific model on your battery manufacturer's official website
Now suppose you have a lead-acid battery 50% discharge limit.
1200*0.5 = 600Wh
12v 100ah lead-acid battery can provide 600 DC Wh of useable power and the same size lithium-ion or LiFePO4 battery can provide 1200 DC Wh of useable power.
Step 2: Subtract DC - AC Conversion Losses
Most TVs require 120 or 220 volts of input power, but on the other hand, you have a 12v battery. So to convert 12v into 120 or 220 volts you'd need an inverter (also known as DC to AC conversion).
inverters are about 90% efficient nowadays. which means there will be a 10% of power loss.
600*0.9 = 540 AC Wh
12v 100ah lead-acid battery can provide 540 AC Wh of useable power and the same size lithium-ion or LiFePO4 battery can provide 1080 AC Wh of useable power.
Step 3: Calculate Tv Wattage Consumption
The wattage consumption of your Tv should be mentioned on the back side of your Tv or check the specs sheet if you have any.
if it's mentioned as input amps and input volts, then use this formula to calculate the watts (watts = amps*volts).
To calculate the exact power consumption of your Tv use this electricity power consumption meter (amazon link). Simply place plug your Tv through it and it shows you how much power is your Tv consuming.
Here's a chart with different sizes of Tv and their wattage consumption.
Tv Wattage Consumption - Chart
|TV size (inches)||TV type||Power Consumption (watts)|
how much power does a tv use? chart
- 24-inch LED Tv consumes about 30 watts of power and the same size LCD Tv consumes about 40 watts of power
- 32-inch LED Tv consumes about 40 watts of power and the same size LCD Tv consumes about 60 watts of power
- 40-inch LED Tv consumes about 50 watts of power and the same size LCD Tv consumes about 70 watts of power
Step 4: Divide Battery AC Wh Capacity By Tv Wattage Consumption
Now the last step is to calculate the estimated battery backup time by using this formula
Est. Runtime (hrs) = Battery Capacity Wh (AC)/Tv Wattage Consumption
let's take a 12v 100ah lead-acid battery and 40-inch LED Tv as an example
540Wh (AC) / 50W = 10.8 hrs
12v 100ah Lead-acid battery with a 50% depth of discharge limit will run a 40-inch LED Tv for about 10 hours with a 90% efficient inverter
Battery Runtime Calculator
How To Use Calculator
- Step 1: Enter Battery Capacity (100)
- Step 2: Enter Battery Voltage (12, 24, or 48)
- Step 3: Select Battery Type
- Step 4: Is the Tv running through the inverter or directly from a 12v socket?
- Step 5: Enter the power consumption of your Tv
- Step 6: Click on " CALCULATE " button
How Long Will A 100Ah Battery Run A Tv? - Chart
Here is a chart on how long will a 12v 100ah battery will run any size and type of Tv.
|TV size (inches) & Type||Power Consumption (watts)||Est. Runtime on 12v 100ah Lead-acid Battery||Est. Runtime on 12v 100ah Lithium (LiFePO4) Battery|
|LED||20 watts||25 hrs||50 hrs|
|LCD||30 watts||17 hrs||34 hrs|
|Plasma||60 watts||9 hrs||18 hrs|
|LED||25 watts||20 hrs||40 hrs|
|LCD||40 watts||13 hrs||26 hrs|
|Plasma||80 watts||7 hrs||14 hrs|
|LED||35 watts||15 hrs||30 hrs|
|LCD||55 watts||9 hrs||18 hrs|
|Plasma||110 watts||5 hrs||10 hrs|
|LED||50 watts||10 hrs||20 hrs|
|LCD||70 watts||7 hrs||14 hrs|
|Plasma||150 watts||4 hrs||8 hrs|
|LED||60 watts||9 hrs||18 hrs|
|LCD||80 watts||6 hrs||12 hrs|
|Plasma||180 watts||3 hrs||6 hrs|
|LED||75 watts||7 hrs||14 hrs|
|LCD||100 watts||5 hrs||10 hrs|
|Plasma||220 watts||2.5 hrs||5 hrs|
Table: How Long Will A 100Ah Battery Run A Tv?
- 12v 100ah lead-acid battery with 50% depth of discharge will run a 32-inch LED Tv for about 15 hours and the same size lithium (LiFePO4) battery will run this LED Tv for about 30 hours.
- 12v 100ah lead-acid battery with 50% depth of discharge will run a 50-inch LED Tv for about 9 hours and the same size lithium (LiFePO4) battery will run this LED Tv for about 18 hours.
Short answer: use my free battery runtime calculator mentioned above to find out the answer.
long answer: Follow these steps Step 1: Convert Battery Capacity Into Wh Step 2: Subtract DC – AC Conversion Losses Step 3: Calculate Tv Wattage Consumption Step 4: Divide Battery AC Wh Capacity By Tv Wattage Consumption.
Other Must-Read Posts
- What Size Battery To Run A TV?
- Solar Panel Calculator For Battery
- How Many Solar Panels To Run A Tv?
- How Long Will A 100Ah Battery Last? (Easy Guide + Calculator)
- What Size Inverter Do I Need To Run A Tv?
- How Many Solar Panels To Run A Tv?
I hope this short guide was helpful to you. still, have any confusion? LEAVE A COMMENT or contact us. Thank You!